AGENCY . RESPONSIBILITY . PURPOSE
Our adolescent program (12-15’s and onwards to 18 pending registration) opened its doors in October 2019 to our first 6 students all 13 and over. Currently borrowing space in our main campus in Liberton this team of pioneering young people are working with our Montessori guides and creative mentors to design and plan a permanent home for the 12-18 year olds in our community.
We welcome interest from families of young people who think such a programme may meet their needs for a person centred, school of choice.
We currently offer a flexible timetable which can be paired with home education or attended full time.
The Vision: –
- An educational hub where young people can come together with specialists and Montessori guides to plan explorations and learning journeys together.
- A supportive community where each person’s development of social skills, character and personal choice is nurtured and encouraged.
- A base for our young people to study core topics in the arts, humanities and STEM.
- A launch pad from which literacy, numeracy, science and the arts are the tools we use to access the curriculum – our world.
- An environment where young people are appreciated for the skills, ideas and talents they bring to the community and can use these skills to influence the world around them – to make the world a better place for all.
- An atmosphere of trust, where young people can progressively direct their own learning journeys
- A place where life experience and life-skills are valued as highly as personal interests and academic development
FIND OUT WHAT WE ARE DOING RIGHT NOW HERE
The practicalities: –
WHAT WE ARE CURRENTLY DEVELOPING:
- Our classroom space is the launchpad for our small group to develop the program – eventually this will host up to 30 young people and 50+ thereafter,
- Spaces for craftwork, trades, engineering, STEAM projects (the A being Arts),
- Space that can be used for care and rearing of animals (for example, pot-bellied pigs, goats, ducks, rabbits)
- Growing space for Permaculture development of sustainable food systems
- Space for the young team to develop the business aspects of running a smallholding and engage with the wider community through the entrepreneurial gifts (and as yet unbounded imagination) every young mind possess
- Thinking space that offers the opportunity for reflection, calm, stillness and wonder that allow young people to unlock their abilities to change the world for the better
“Be brave, be curious, be determined, overcome the odds. It can be done.”
Stephen Hawking – Brief Answers to the Big Questions, 2018